About Me

My photo
California, United States
Hi! You can call me Lu. This is a non-fictional blog about my life, because I need to start journaling. I hail from Southern California and am now a second year at a University of California school, studying biology. I tend to do clumsy, embarrassing things, but I at least have a ton of fun while I'm at it. This is basically my diary, so if you're reading, please respect it. :)

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Meant to Be Together

As my snapchat story clearly suggested to all my friends... I had a great, fucking day on Wednesday. As in a "one of the best days of my life" kind of great, fucking day. 

It all started with an unexpected phone call from my aunt, which was especially nice because we hadn't spoken for about two weeks. Once we exchanged goodbyes, I laced up my running shoes and decided to go for a beach run before I hit the gym. 

Lately, I have found that running without music is really empowering. There is something special about listening to the bottoms of my shoes rub against the trail or about listening to the birds chirping. I feel extremely attentive and in-tune with nature, or whatever is going on around me, without music. 

While running along the tide-line on my way home (far enough to already have an endorphin-high) I found a perfect piece of blue sea glass and one of the most beautiful, iridescent abalone shells I have ever seen. After finding both of these within five minutes, I realized that the day was going to be amazing. 

My theory (I've obviously adopted it from somewhere else) is that taking sweet, little things as precursors to a great day will put you into an attitude that's ready for it. So, I cruised into the gym feeling super positive and happy. 

Mikey told me about a gym on campus just for athletes on club sports teams, and suggested I go (since I like going to the gym already, hopefully not because he thinks I need to work out). That morning he asked if I wanted to go with him around 12 but I planned on going a bit sooner. 

About halfway through my workout, Mikey came in and walked over to me. We chit-chatted for a little while, and then he excused himself to start his workout and to let me get back to mine. Although we didn't hang out or anything, it was really nice to see Mikey, even if I was sweating balls. At least my butt looked nice in my shorts. 

Now, I know what you're thinking: don't you like Kevin? Well, I am not sure because he barely even makes an effort to text me. Yeah, I'll most likely get down with him on Monday night (plot twist: he decided to come up Monday afternoon), but I don't really know how long-term things are meant to be between us. And to be honest, it doesn't bum me out to say that out loud anymore. 

After I left the gym, I pulled out my phone to check my email (dang university emails are so difficult to keep in line). A few weeks ago I applied for a biology fellowship that I had been nominated as a possible recipient for, but totally forgot about it. I had to adjust my brightness to the highest setting just to be sure, but there it was: I GOT A $5000 SCHOLARSHIP! Not giving two fucks about what anyone thought, I started laughing and happy-dancing right outside of the gym. 

So, I ran home with a massive smile plastered on my face the entire way, and skipped through the front door. 

"Why are you having the best day ever?" Jordan asked as I waltzed in. I had texted her once I found out about the scholarship. 

After spilling all the details of my day, she told me to look in my room. There were streamers hanging everywhere, balloons, and a ton of goodies left for me by my big! If I wasn't happy before... this big-little week surprise was the icing on the cake.

It turns out that my big lied to me all week, leaving me false clues, which really threw me off. "I actually have no idea who she is now," I told Jordan on a regular basis. She would just peer up at me and giggle as she texted my big all of my reactions. 

The next day, Thursday, I got home from the gym and Jordan asked me what my plans were. 

"Well, since I'm already on the couch..."

"Yay! We can have a lazy day," she exclaimed. I find it funny that this was normal enough to mask her ulterior motive of keeping me in the house. A few hours of nothing later, I heard a knock at the door. Had I known that a boy would be delivering me a heart shaped pizza, I wouldn't have answered sans-bra, but who really gives a shit these days anyway. 

"Never regret pizza," Jordan shared after I ate the entire thing. 

"Whoever my big is, I kind of love her already." This clearly supports the fact that pizza is a sure-fire way to a woman's heart. 

So yesterday, we had big-little reveal. I'll cut to the chase: my big lied to me all week and was the girl that I wanted (her name is Ali)!!! We celebrated, and I met the rest of our family, who are all super chill. Obviously it makes sense that I'm in their family, lol. They iced us (the three new littles), and thankfully I impressed them with a time of seven seconds. 

Ali and I went out to one of her friend's house parties, and I knew a ton of people there because of surf team. "Lulu, how do you know people here?" Ali laughed. 

"I guess we are just meant to be together!" I exclaimed.

I understand why some people have a negative outlook on sororities, or greek life in general, because I used to. But, being on this side of the spectrum, I am so glad to be in the house that I am in. I've met so many cool girls that I am confident in saying that I click with, and am super thankful for finding them through my sorority. If I wasn't excited before, I definitely am now!

No comments:

Post a Comment